KUALA LUMPUR: Police will stand firm in rejecting Pakatan Harapan’s application to hold a rally at Padang Timur in Petaling Jaya despite getting approval from the local authority, said Tan Sri Mohamad Fuzi Harun.
The Inspector-General of Police said this was because various reasons including 27 police reports were lodged against the rally so far.
“It is the municipal council’s right to approve the use of their venue as the owner but we will not budge from our decision,” he said to a press conference at the Police Training Centre (Pulapol) on Friday.
On Thursday, the Petaling Jaya Municipal Council gave the greenlight for the organisers to use the venue.
However, Mohamad Fuzi stopped short of calling the rally illegal.
“I am not going to call it that but you all know what it means when they do not have a permit,” he said.
He added that there are other issues like traffic congestion to consider.
Mohamad Fuzi, however, added that the rally could be held at the Kelana Jaya Stadium.
“If it is possible, they can hold it at the Kelana Jaya Stadium. I feel it will be more organised and easier for the organisers and us to control the crowd.
“If they don’t accept our suggestion, it is up to them,” Mohamad Fuzi said, adding that police would take action in accordance with the law.
He was speaking after launching the handing over of duties ceremony between Comm Datuk Seri Acryl Abdullah Sani and Comm Datuk Amar Singh who replaces him as Bukit Aman Commercial Crime Investigation Department director.
Comm Acryl will now lead the Bukit Aman strategic and technological resources department as its director.
Mohamad Fuzi also said he has ordered Terengganu police to look into any possible weaknesses in the standard operating procedure that may have led to the deaths of two traffic policemen who were hit by a lorry at KM139 of Jalan Kuala Terengganu – Kuantan on Wednesday.