January 18, 2018
You can use WP menu builder to build menus


A man surveys the flood at the junction of Macalister Road (right) and Jalan Datuk Keramat in George Town November 5, 2017. — Picture courtesy of Ang Joo TatA man surveys the flood at the junction of Macalister Road (right) and Jalan Datuk Keramat in George Town November 5, 2017. — Picture courtesy of Ang Joo TatKUALA LUMPUR, Nov 5 — Fifth formers in Penang will sit for the SPM school leaving examinations tomorrow as scheduled, the state Education Department said today in the aftermath of torrential rains that caused widespread floods and damage.

Its director Shaari Osman said he has given instructions to exclude secondary schools in Penang as evacuation and flood relief centres for victims, New Straits Times reported on its website today.

He added that SPM examinees who have trouble reaching their registered examination centres may sit for their papers at any other school closest to them.

“So far, only one secondary school at Teluk Kumbar will be used as a flood relief centre. We have asked all parties to use the National School for the purpose.

“Also, we will give the assurance that any SPM candidate involved in the flood will get help to [reach their] examination centre,” he was quoted saying.

He also assured examinees in flood-affected schools such as the Al-Mashoor Religious Secondary School and SMK Seri Mutiara not to worry, saying the examination hall in their schools were not flooded as they are located on the upper floors.

Shaari was also reported as saying a special SPM Security Committee has been set up to deal with the floods.

The SPM examinations are scheduled to start nationwide tomorrow until December 4.

Deputy Education Minister P. Kamalanathan said the ministry is still assessing the situation in flood-hit states.

He added that teachers and invigilators have been informed to be prepared to aid the students affected by the floods.

“I would like the parents and teachers to put the safety of the students as a priority and also to agents of aid to the students where possible during this challenging time.

“I’d also like to advise all involved to follow the official instructions given by the authorities in making any decision. The priority is the safety of the students and everything else is secondary,” he said in a statement.

He added that he will provide updates on his Facebook when he receives new information.

About 80 per cent of Penang on both the island and mainland were inundated by flash floods following continuous heavy rainfall that lasted nearly 18 hours straight since 2pm yesterday.

Parts of neighbouring Kedah state have also been affected.

The Meteorological Department has issued a “red” alert warning of more continuous heavy rain in Penang and Kedah today.



Source link

admin

No Comments

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons
%d bloggers like this: