BUKIT MERTAJAM, Nov 6 — The worst flash floods that hit Penang have left its residents having to clean mud-covered houses and facing losses amounting to thousands of ringgit, especially with the damage to electrical equipment and home appliances, as well as vehicles.
Vegetable wholesaler Teh Lim Siong, 54, said the water began to rise at his house at 8pm and he had never expected the flash flood to hit so badly as his area had never experienced floods such as that.
He said his losses were even more heartfelt with the damage to household items and two vehicles at his house in Bukit Teh after being submerged in flood waters.
Another flood victim, Nur Rodziah Jusoh, 45, of Kampung Jawa, said her family also suffered huge losses in the flood this time as all the wedding preparation items of her eldest child, Nurul Syuhada Rozali, 23, were also damaged.
“We will continue with the wedding feast which will be held in two weeks’ time. But it will be held in moderation as most of the ingredients including rice, sugar and cooking oil had been damaged and some were even swept away by the flood waters. I accept our fate and just hope the event will go well,” she said.
Meanwhile, Bernama observed that the flood situation in Bukit Mertajam was not over yet, as more than 100 cars and several houses were still inundated.
Following the rapid rise of flood waters around 9pm on Saturday, most of the vehicle owners were unable to move their vehicles to higher ground or safer locations.
Nearly all of the areas in Penang have been affected by the floods, with water rising to between 0.2 and one metre in some areas, following heavy rain and strong winds which also resulted in tens of trees to be uprooted.
To date, the floods have claimed seven lives. — Bernama