December 12, 2017
You can use WP menu builder to build menus


Residents are seen on a boat at a flood affected area in Temerloh, December 7, 2013. — Reuters picResidents are seen on a boat at a flood affected area in Temerloh, December 7, 2013. — Reuters picALOR SETAR, Nov 8 — Kedah is well-prepared for the possibility of a second wave of floods said Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Ahmad Bashah Md Hanipah.

He said agencies such as the Malaysian Civil Defence Force, the People’s Volunteer Corps (Rela), the Fire and Rescue Department of Malaysia and the Social Welfare Department (JKM) had been instructed to be ready on standby.

“We have been informed that at the district levels too, preparations are being made for the second wave of floods which is expected to last until February.

“We hope the Malaysian Meteorological Department will be able to give detailed information on the weather changes and inform us ahead of time so that we can plan to evacuate victims quickly and safely,” he told reporters at Wisma Darul Aman, today.

Ahmad Bashah added that he had instructed every district municipal council to monitor all drainage system in their respective areas to ensure there were no obstructions to the water flow.

In Kota Baru, Kelantan Menteri Besar Datuk Ahmad Yakob said the people and the state government should prepare for the worst following the recent flash floods in the northern states.

He said food supplies and other basic necessities should be ready at the base to be delivered to the flood-prone areas.

“What’s important is that we have to be prepared and at the same time perform the Prayer of Need to seek protection and relieve us of this calamity,” he told reporters at the Kelantan State Economic Development Corporation (PKINK) Excellence Service Award ceremony here today.

Ahmad added that state and federal agencies were also helping in ensuring that adequate facilities were available for the public and the authorities should floods hit the state.

He said the Kelantan state government sympathised with the people of Penang who were hit by the floods and had sent volunteers to help the flood victims there.

Meanwhile, in Seremban, the Negri Sembilan Fire and Rescue Department had prepared 25 boats and 12 five-tonne lorries to be on standby to provide assistance in the event of a flood in the state.

Its director, Norazam Khamis, said the department had already started an operation room and its staff had been mobilised at the flood-prone areas.

“We have also increased the number of volunteer rescuers in the state and placing them at the hot spots such as in Rembau, Port Dickson, Bahau, Gemenceh, Tampin and Gemas to assist our men during the floods.

“I urge people living in low-lying and flood-prone areas to be prepared for flooding. Keep your important documents safe and intact and place all electrical goods at higher levels” he told a press conference on launching a humanitarian aid mission to Penang here, today.

He said should the floods hit the state the department would freeze staff annual leave to ensure there was sufficient manpower. — Bernama



Source link

admin

No Comments

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons
%d bloggers like this: