SEOUL, Nov 17 — Label SJ released a statement today to refute allegations that Super Junior’s Kangin was involved in a drunken assault on a woman, said to be his girlfriend, in the early hours of this morning.
The label, which manages Kangin along with the other Super Junior members, said, in a translation provided by Soompi: “First, we sincerely apologise for causing distress. At the time, Kangin was having an argument with a friend he was drinking with, and the misunderstanding that arose from the situation led to the police being called to the location. We have apologised to the other party and the situation was resolved. We would like once more to sincerely apologise for Kangin causing distress during a time in which he is reflecting on past actions.”
Multiple entertainment sites had claimed today that the Seoul Gangnam Police Station received a report at 4.30am that an intoxicated Kangin was assaulting his girlfriend at a pub in the Sinsa neighbourhood.
However, no further action was taken against him as the woman did not want to press charges against the 32-year-old singer.
However, subsequently, it was also alleged that the assault had actually taken place in a room salon (a sexual establishment likened to a high-class brothel), and that the identity of the woman, who was previously assumed to be his girlfriend, could not be confirmed.
This is not the first time that Kangin has had a brush with the law.
He has been arrested twice for driving under the influence, the most recent incident being in July this year for which he received a fine.
As a result, he sat out Super Junior’s promotional activities for their recently released eighth album, PLAY.
While some fans see it as time for Kangin to leave the band permanently, Label SJ has yet to confirm whether he will be part of the group’s upcoming concert tour, Super Show 7.