DETROIT, Oct 28 — Actress Rose McGowan yesterday spoke out for the first time since accusing Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein of raping her, telling an audience at the Women’s Convention in Detroit that she has been “silenced for 20 years, slut-shamed” and “harassed.”
“I have been maligned, and you know what? I’m just like you,” McGowan said. “Because what happened to me, behind the scenes, happens to all of us in this society and that cannot stand and it will not stand.”
McGowan is one of eight women reported by The New York Times earlier this month to have reached a settlement with Weinstein, 65, over accusations of sexual harassment and unwanted physical contact.
McGowan’s US$100,000 (RM423,117) settlement with Weinstein came in 1997, “after an episode in a hotel room during the Sundance Film Festival,” The New York Times reported. The actress said on Twitter that “HW raped me.”
Weinstein has denied having non-consensual sex with anyone. Reuters has been unable to independently confirm any of the allegations.
The New York City Police Department has said it is investigating an allegation of sexual assault by Weinstein in 2004.
The Los Angeles Police Department also said earlier this month that it is investigating a 2013 sexual assault allegation against movie producer Weinstein. — Reuters