KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 18 — Rescuers were forced to evacuate 18 wards at the Sibu Hospital after a fire broke out there, clearing over 1,000 patients, hospital workers, and other people from the building.
Sibu Fire and Rescue Department acting chief Wan Kamaruddin Ahmad said the blaze is believed to have started as a result of a faulty air-conditioning unit in a male ward, the Star Online news portal reported.
“We estimated about 1,000 people were affected by the fire. They had to be cleared from 18 wards for safety reasons and were gathered in three spots in the compound of the hospital,” he was quoted as saying.
The department dispatched 19 firefighters and two fire engines to the location, and was able to contain the conflagration within minutes of arrival.
Sibu Hospital director Dr Ngiam Hie Ung later said all affected patients have been allowed to return to their respective wards, save for those where the fire is believed to have started.
No casualties were reported.