PETALING JAYA, Nov 20 — Residents had a scare during a torrential downpour when a landslide struck Bukit Bandaraya in Bangsar on Saturday.
Bukit Bandaraya Residents Association adviser Datuk M. Ali told Malay Mail several residents were living in fear after the landslide incident.
He said debris along Jalan Medang Tanduk has been removed, but the exposed hillside is still a cause for concern.
“I visited the site and saw officers from the city council examining the area, but there is still exposed soil and trees on the hill which could collapse any time,” he said.
Ali said residents have not been told to evacuate their homes by the authorities, who have also remained silent of possible safety precautions that should be taken.
“The authorities have not advised those living nearby on any proactive steps to be taken, nor have they mentioned any possible cause for the landslide,” he said.
According to initial reports, a hillslope retaining wall collapsed at 11.40pm, bringing down large rocks and soil.
The Fire and Rescue Department cordoned off the area, which is at the foot of an incomplete uphill condominium project.
Ali urged the authorities to reach out to concerned residents soon to assure them of their safety.
Following the incident, Jalan Medang Tanduk was closed off to traffic and was reopened at 10am yesterday.
According to a City Hall spokesman, the road had been declared safe for use while several agencies would continue to monitor the situation.
“Workers are still cleaning up the debris from the landslide that forced the road to be closed to traffic since 11.40pm on Saturday,” he said.
Meanwhile, in Ukay Perdana, Ampang, a landslip occurred opposite Dahlia Apartments on Saturday.
Selangor Fire and Rescue Department Deputy Director of Operations Mohd Sani Harul said rescuers were alerted to the incident at about 6.30pm and found several vehicles damaged.
“No one was hurt in the incident,” he said.